Welcome to the World of Idiosyncrasies

Hello and Welcome to my world. Here, you are free to feel as you feel without guarding your emotions, without acting matured and rational etc etc etc. Its an idiosyncratic world and you have every right to feel happy, sad, upset, cheerful, grumpy or whatever else you feel like! No judgements at all.
Oh, and while you enter, please leave you judgmental thinking, and stuck up attitude outside. It's a mad world in here already; and the least you could do is not add to the troubles. No one loves a drama llama ;)

Monday, July 28, 2008

My English Lecture

I sit here in my class room
And see the proff delivering a lecture
On Bernard Shaw.
I look around at my class mates
Boring disinterested faces greet me.
Some reading novels
Some fiddling with their cell phones
Still others, making a brave effort
Not to doze off.
And me..?
I am trying to scribble something
To distract my attention
From the seductive call of sleep

A bus honks by rudely
I disinterestedly look outside the window
My gaze is held.
I stop, and stare.
Outside the premises,
Is a bustee
I see a poor boy
Peering attentively at something
He is six years old, maybe seven.
I crane my neck to intrude into his privacy
What I see, sends a chill down my spine
He is holding a paper,
And the refill of a pen -
Probably thrown out by one of us
And he is trying to write something!

I look back towards my class.
I see my designer clothes
I see my Woodland shoes
I see my air conditioned class room
And my expensive leather bag.
I see my brand new texts and copies
And for the first time,
I feel a pang of guilt in my heart!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

touching re, even i have felt the same some times. I think what we should strive for is to make a difference to such people in whatever way we can.

n-chanted! said...

privilege and oppression!

the great indian divide :) it reminds me of 'city of joy' when the extravagant author pledges to never to throw away food after he sees a child go without food for 3 days.

nice one :)

Unknown said...

very nice!!very touchy...all f thm actly!!gt thm published:)

Sutapa Mukherjee said...

@ Ajish:
True... we should actually do what little we can. Sad that so many people realize it and yet so few do anything about it.

@ Niladri:
Dichotomy has been a prime characteristic of all economies, isn't it? City of Joy by Lapierre nah?
Me read it too.

@ Srirupa:
Thanks sweety... but publishing? No!! You need much for that than this.